Monday, October 10, 2011

Is the House Starting to Crumble? My Personal Feelings on the Show


Most people know me for my Diagnosing House blog, where I analyze episodes. What people don’t realize is that my House blog doesn’t reflect my own personal views on the show I once adored. In my House blog, I try to offer my analysis on what I think the writer is revealing to us about House. In this regard, I try to remain different from other blogs that offer reviews. I don’t review. If I did, it definitely wouldn’t always be kind. With this, I come to you with my personal feelings in this blog about my once favorite obsession….House.

My love of the show began to falter about mid-season when the writing took what I felt was an outlandish turn. No, I’m not a bitter House/Cuddy fan either. I understood the breakup. It was the events after that which gave me cause for literary concern. From the ridiculous chicken bet to House marrying a Green Card girl to the poorly executed finale, I was left scratching my head wondering if indeed the House was beginning to crumble. I wasn’t the only one. I spoke to casual viewers who aren’t internet hounds and many felt the show was “weird” too. Granted not all of it was horrific. My hats do go off to Sanford Bookstaver for a brilliantly directed “Out of the Chute” and to writers Lerner and Friend for an in character episode of “After Hours” for which Hugh Laurie was nominated. I bring these up, because I really didn’t have too many issues with the first half of the season.

One thing I will say about the first half of the season is that the writers and producers wasted a golden opportunity to explore both House and Cuddy’s character when they embarked on their long awaited romance. You had two great actors with amazing chemistry and appeal, but nothing was done properly with any of that. The relationship ended up being mundane and out of character for both actors. That was a disappointment. Then again, it was revealed that the writers and producers were just using the opportunity as just another arc to prove how hopeless House is by intending to breakup the couple right out of the gate. I wonder why they even bothered in the first place then. Seven and a half years gone in fifteen episodes. Yeah, that math sounds very fair. (She says sarcastically.)

No matter how outlandish things appeared, I pushed past them on forged ahead watching. Then the finale reared its ugly head. I actually liked the patient of the week’s story in the finale and how it wove its way into House’s own real life crisis. Then, that was wiped away by one ridiculous act that for me tainted House. Yes, folks, the infamous car crash heard round the world. An act so violent and shocking that it didn’t garner the reaction writers and producers had hoped. Instead, they tried to turn it into something comical in the episode. What is comical about almost killing people with your car and destroying property? The problem is that than displaying House’s anger through a true to character storytelling device, the writers chose “stunts.” It’s easy to throw in a crash for “show” and “awe” it’s another thing to masterfully do the same thing without contrived special effects and stunts. Unfortunately, the show has been relying on this storytelling technique too much, in my opinion. The got away with it for awhile, but this time it backfired and no one from the production team is taking responsibility by just admitting that they used poor judgment.

That brings me to my next set of feelings. After the dust cleared (pardon the pun), David Shore and writers Peter Blake and Kath Ligenfelter then had to put on their damage control gear. Unfortunately, their responses to the brouhaha have only fueled fan anger. We’ve heard that House wasn’t out to kill anyone, Rachel wasn’t home, everyone was out of the room, it was destruction just of property. Not once did we hear, I understand and recognize the concern of the fans and how they perceived the episode. It wasn’t our attention to make it appear as it did, and we apologize for that. We only intended to show House’s anger and frustration by lashing out in a way we thought showed a different side to him. I guess we didn’t succeed completely in that task. That was our mistake. If they wanted to show House lashing out, couldn’t they have had him pulling a Carrie Underwood, taking his cane to Cuddy’s car and smashing her headlights and windows? I would have bought that.

Then, I was appalled at a recent interview (Barbra Barnett’s End of the Thought Process Blog) where, God love him, finale and season eight premiere writer Peter Blake suggested that Lisa Edelstein’s departure may have tainted people’s perception of the episode. I say, no….House driving his car into Cuddy’s dining room tainted the finale episode. If Lisa Edelstein stayed with the show, I don’t think people would have seen the act any differently, to be honest. Plus, Blake admitted that if Lisa did come back they had no idea what they were going to do with Cuddy. Exactly! So Blake has to ask himself, did Lisa’s exit change the perception or did poor execution of the episode taint it. Don’t get me wrong. Peter Blake is great with fans and is very polite. I’m sure he is a great guy. He just needs to work on his PR skills. Then again, David Shore needs to work on his PR skills as well.

The other thing that makes me scratch my head is the fact that for the season seven finale episode, writers and producers showed the cut to people on set and the network and no one had an issue with it. Of course they didn’t. Are co-workers going to tell you that you crossed a line? Is the network going to not get all giddy over a car crashing into a house when the network can’t even notice that Lisa Edelstein was an important cast member? Why didn’t they try a control group of people who would not be biased?

The final blow to the show came when FOX and NBCU for undisclosed reasons couldn’t reach an agreement with House regular Lisa Edelstein. Apparently, FOX and NBCU don’t watch their shows, because if they did they’d understand that Lisa’s acting talents are more valuable and worth more than the two duds they hired to replace her. Not to mention the fact that the House writers just don’t know how to write for female characters. I’ve seen more female members of the cast go than runners on base in a ball game. It’s shameful. Unless they are attached to House in some way, they cannot have a life or personality. I get that House is the quarterback, but it’s nice to have a few strong players catching passes. House can’t always pass to himself, which is what is basically happening. Apparently the females are expendable on the show.  So Odette and Charlene, don’t get comfortable.

For me the show has lost its zest. I know that seems an unfounded statement to make given we are only in the stages of season eight. However, I had faith in the writers up until the finale where there’s usually a great hat trick. But all I’ve felt was complete and utter disappointment in what I’ve seen take place on all fronts. Now, they say they are going to “get back to basics.” I say, why didn’t you keep with the basics all along? Right now Producers are only insulting fans who’ve been with the show since its debut….like me. They shouldn’t have to be hitting the reset button this late in the game. Just because things are new and shiny doesn’t make them better. Sometimes the new are cheaply made and don’t last as long. That’s why the classics are classics for a reason….they never lose their style, are legendary and can be built to last. Classic House is what I will remember. Not this shiny new version.

Will I still watch? Yes. Mainly because I’ve invested this much time in reading the book, that I don’t want to put down because the story took a bizarre turn. I bought the book, now I’ll pay for it. Plus, it gives me the right to complain about it if I don’t like something or give a pat if I do like something. Right now I’m watching for Hugh only, but I don’t think he is enough to save this House on a crumbling foundation. 

No comments: